Thursday, February 3, 2011

Tomato Basil Soup

When planning our menu for the week my husband requested tomato soup.  I found this one on cooking light and it is good.  Only 100 calories for 1 1/2 cups.  Of course then I splurged and bought a $5 loaf of rustic bread at the market.  I really can't wait until summer when I can make this with my own tomatoes and basil.

Ingredients

  • 2  teaspoons  olive oil
  • 3  garlic cloves, minced
  • 3  cups  fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
  • 3/4  teaspoon  salt
  • 3  (14.5-ounce) cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 2  cups  fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
  • Basil leaves (optional)

Preparation

Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Stir in the broth, salt, and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 20 minutes. Stir in basil.
Place half of the soup in a blender; process until smooth. Pour pureed soup into a bowl, and repeat procedure with remaining soup. Garnish with basil leaves, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...