Friday, February 18, 2011

Multi grain Bread

 We usually eat this or plain whole wheat bread, this is my favorite.  It has a lot of flavor and is a lot less crumbly than wheat bread can be.
Cooking Tip #1:  If you are going to be measuring honey, corn syrup or anything sticky like that, measure oil or spray with cooking spray first. This way honey pours out easily so you get the entire amount and you didn't have to scrape out with spoon.
 Cooking Tip #2: Bread needs two things to rise well, humidity and warmth.  So I do one of two things.  Option 1 is to plug the sink and fill with hot tap water place a cooling rack over sink (make sure it is stable so your bread doesn't fall into water) place rising loafs on rack and cover with light dish towel.  Option 2 works best if you have two oven. Heat one oven to 150 degrees with a dish of water on one rack, then turn off all heat and place covered bread in warm oven to rise.  When bread begins to rise above rim of bread pan, pre-heat other oven to 350.  Then just move loaves into baking oven.
Multi grain Bread
Boil 6 cups of water and add to
1 Cup sunflower seeds (flatten in hand mill)      
½ Cup of sesame seeds
½ cup flax seeds ( seeds need to be milled to get nutritional value)
1/3 cup millet                                                     
1/3 cup amaranth grain  
Let soak for at least an hour to soften then add:
2 cups 9 grain cereal                                          
1 c. gluten flour or 1 cup white flour
2/3 Cup honey                                  
4 Tbls. Dough enhancer
2/3 Cup of oil                                     
2 Tbls salt
2 Tbls. Yeast                                        
Wheat flour 6 – 8 cups
Knead for 8 min.  Shape into 5 loaves and let rise.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 min.

If I am making this bread to go with a soup or something fancier than PB&J  I will make it into a round loaf, brush with butter and sprinkle with rosemary.  Then bake in a 450 to 500 degree oven.

3 comments:

  1. This bread sounds delicious, but the recipe is much too advanced for me! ;) I don't own a hand mill and if I can't buy all the ingredients at the grocery store, it just isn't going to happen. Do you have any "beginner" homemade bread recipes? And can you post your regular whole wheat bread recipe? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does sound good, but a lot of work! Where do you get millet amaranth? I have never heard of it. I too don't have a hand mill. I guess I need to come over and see you make it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks sooo good!! I wish I was still living 2 doors away. Can I place an order to be shipped. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...