Thursday, April 14, 2011

Home made granola bars (trying to replace z bars)

 Okay so this one is definely a money saver for us.  A box of Z Bars from Costco is $10 ish, and I do love them, soft and yummy with not too many calories for a quick snack or for energy on a bike ride.   So when I saw this one on Kitchen Stewardship I just had to try it.  I doubled it and ended up with over 40 bars which I wrapped and placed in freezer.  Then the next week took out a handful for soccer games, softball practice and keeping the little one happy during all of this.  Did I mention my husband ate 3 at the soccer game instead of the dinner I packed him.  Healthier I don't know, lots of oat, but also lots of butter and of course yummy chocolate.  Time sensitive definetaly only takes minutes to mix pour into a cookie sheet, bake, cook, cut , wrap done.   Cost saver, oh yea.  Again I don't know what oats cost because I buy in large 50 lbs. bags, the butter and honey are the expense so 2 cups of honey is maybe $4 and 1 lbs. butter is another $4 maybe so about $10 for all 40 bars.
Recipe:
4 1/2 Cups rolled oats
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup butter softened
1 cup honey
Add- ins: 1 Cup chocolate chips, I cup chopped nuts, or and 2 cup combination with dried fruits or sunflower seed, or coconut or whatever you like. (My kids like plain chocolate chips the most but my husband and I really like the craisons and coconut)

Pre heat oven to 325 degrees,  for single batch use 9x13 for double batch use a rimmed cookie sheet (jelly roll pan).
Beat butter and honey first until smooth and smelling yummy,  then all other ingredients except add ins.  Beat hard until combined then stir in add-ins.  Press mixture into pan,  you do need to really jam them down in (spray your hands with cooking spray and that will keep them a lot cleaner) so they don't fall apart later.  Then bake for 15 to 20 min. or until golden brown.  Let cool for at least 10 min before cutting into bars (in pan).  Then let cool completely and remove and wrap.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...