Friday, May 6, 2011

Fruit and Grain Bar




I tried these fig breakfast bars off of Dig This Chick. They are good, I did struggle to find figs in my area, I probably could have at the whole foods markets but I felt that I wanted to keep the cost down so I used apricot and prunes. I also couldn't find an affordable carrot juice until after I had made them so I used straight grape juice off of my own vines which might be a little too tart, but so far everyone eats them when I get them out. Also she said on hers she didn't use all the fruit filling. Of course I didn't listen and thought more is better, but trust her and me it is not, then they are like an overloaded PB&J and messy for the kids. Next time carrot juice and not all the filling. I do feel like it is healthier than the granola bars, but not as affordable unless you are able to dry your own apricots which is what I will have to do with mine this year.

Recipe:

3 Cups whole Wheat Flour

1/2 tsp salt

3/4 tsp. baking powder

3/8 tsp. baking soda

1/4 cup ground flax seed

dash ground nutmeg and ground cloves

1 stick butter, cold

1/2 cup whole milk

1/2 cup honey

2 eggs


Filling

2 cups dried figs

1/2 cup dried apricots

2 cups juice ( carrot-orange, I used grape any thing 100% juice)

1 cup water


Follow the link to get all the directions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...