Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Homemade Wheat Thins (easy)

 So I have been trying to replace processed foods with more natural or whole foods,  I am not ready to jump completely into that change but am working towards it.  Most of the processed foods that does come into our house are snacks for the kids.  So what I want to focus on for the next few posts is are they healthier, time efficient and cost effective.  I have now made these crackers twice, the first time I doubled the recipe the second time I quadrupled the recipe and was much happier the second time around because I ended up with the equivalent of a two pouch Costco box.   I am just going to assume they are healthier since the wheat was ground minutes before use and I used honey and butter instead of processed sugar and hydrogenated oil.  I do thin these are fairly time efficient, it took me less than 30 min. the first batch and less than 45 min.  the second batch ( I do have double ovens which helped to speed things up). As far as cost, I think the Costco bag is about $5, I have no idea on homemade because I bought my wheat years ago.  The flour is minimal only a couple cups of wheat a small amount of honey, but two cubes of butter is at least $1.50 and they you have to think about the energy to bake and wash dishes.  So I think probably pretty even on cost.

Recipe:
1 1/4 Cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 Tbs. honey (or sugar)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. paprika
4 Tbs. butter
1/4 Cup water
1/4 tsp. vanilla
Salt for topping
Parchment paper or flat baking stone
Please follow directions, the second time I did not and the dough was not as smooth and harder to roll out.

 Pre heat oven to 425 degrees.  Combine flour, salt and paprika in mixing bowl, then cut in soft butter until it looks like large crumbs. no bigger than a pea.  Then combine water, vanilla and honey and add to flour mixture.  Mix well until combined and dough forms.
Then divide dough into fourths rolling out one fourth at a time on a sheet of parchment or right on to a stone (I only used parchment).  Use as much flour as necessary to make rolling easy.  Roll out until dough is as thin as humanly possible with out tearing.  Then use a pizza cutter to cut into a rectangle.  I saved all the edges and baked them together at the end our you can just cut as is and have some weird crackers, doesn't matter kids eat them either way.  Then continue to cut into squares I have done some big and some small, what ever you like.  Poke lightly with fork, I forgot on some and had bubbles but not a big deal if you are in a hurry.  Then sprinkle with salt and slide parchment onto cookie tray and bake for 8 min.  (in my oven but you make want to check and start with 6 or 7)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...