Monday, March 21, 2011

Garlic Spinach Loaf

On Saturday I picked up my produce co-op basket and brought home Swiss chard.  I have never bought nor eaten Swiss chard, so when I looked it up I fought that I could cook it and treat it just like frozen or cooked spinach.  So that is what I did.  This bread was delicious to eat warm but the best part was the smell while mixing it, the first time I have ever wanted to eat bread dough. Just remember it is supposed to chill overnight.

Recipe
3/4 Cup warm water
1 package active dry yeast
1/2 cup milk
2 Tbls. sugar
2 Tbls. butter
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/2 cup grated Asiago cheese (I used grated Parmesan)
1/4 cup thawed and drained spinach (I used fresh steamed Swiss chard)
4 cloves garlic
2 1/2 cups flour
Combine yeast and warm water and let sit while warming milk, sugar, butter and salt on stove until butter is almost melted.  Then remove from heat and add cheeses, garlic and spinach.  Then combine with yeast mixture.  Next add in flour (I think that next time I will add another cup of flour to this) and mix on high for at least 3 min.,  Transfer to a clean bowl sprayed with cooking spray and cover with plastic wrap and place in fridge overnight. Remove from fridge 3 to 4 hours before you wish to eat it.  I first set the bowl in warm water in the sink for 1/2 hr.  then removed very wet dough from bowl onto floured surface and covered with plastic wrap for another 1/2 hr.  Then shape into oblong loaf and place on a sprayed and lightly corn meal covered cooking sheet.  Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled in size.  Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.  Once bread has risen brush with beaten egg white and sprinkle with Parmesan.  Bake for about 30 min.  Mine came out pretty rounded but then I sliced it while still hot and then remembered to take a picture so mine is pretty flat.  I suggest letting it cool completely before slicing and then rewarm to eat.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting. I'm going to try it but I am nervous because yeast and I are nnot friends!! So we will see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...