Thursday, March 24, 2011

Freezer Jam vs. Cooked Jam

So for years I have making cooked jam and sealing it and keeping rows upon rows of jam in my food storage room.  However the other day when I cleaned out my freezer I saw that I had half used bags of raspberries, some ruhbarb from last summer, and the beautiful marion berries I bought in Oregon last summer.  I did not want to put them back in the freezer so I thawed them and cut up a container of strawberries from Costco and decided to make freezer jam since I did not have the time for canning.  After making my first batch I thought it is impossible for the sugar granuals to dissolve like this so I went back to making cooked jam that I was just going to freeze.  So in this picture the jam on the left is cooked and the jam on the right is freezer jam.  I made my husband (and jam know it all ) do a blind  taste test and he said he could taste the individual berry taste better in the freezer jam and that it was just as smooth as the cooked jam.  So there you have it freezer jam does taste the same if not better than cooked jam.  However I must add that I am really hating giving up the space in my freezer for all that jam and will probably return to canning my jam.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...